Thursday, April 15, 2010

chive flowers are tasty!

Hello, gardeners! Since many of us have chives, I thought I'd share this tip. A friend of mine once made a lovely bean salad that she garnished with whole chive flowers. They were in with everything else and had the dressing on them, so I figured I was supposed to eat them. They're fantastic! They taste like chives, but milder, and they are crispy/crunchy. Ever since then, I always pick a few for salads and stuff.

Here are some other edible flowers that are better known: violets, pansies, and nasturtiums. I have not eaten pansies, but violets and nasturtiums taste to me like arugula or other salad greens. Not thrilling, tastewise -- but they are pretty. I know you can sugar violets or even make a syrup out of them. I think the taste is then more sweet/sour. Just be careful where you pick -- you don't want ones that have been chemically treated.

Do you know of other unusual edibles we might find in our garden?

No comments:

Post a Comment